LET Reviewer - General Education (ENGLISH - Idioms)



Taking the Board Licensure Examination for Professional Teachers (BLEPT), formerly known as Licensure Examination for Teachers (LET)? Try our online reviewer to enhance your knowledge on Professional Education below.


You may also download its PDF version or follow us on Facebook for more sample quiz.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


LET REVIEWER – GENERAL EDUCATION PART 4
ENGLISH (IDIOMATIC EXPRESSION)


Direction: Select the letter of the best answer.


1. It was raining cats and dogs when we got off the bus.
a. There were cats and dogs descending from the sky.
b. It was raining really hard.
c. We were getting really wet.
d. It was raining on the cats and dogs.


Answer: b. It was raining really hard.



2. Ashley blacks out whenever she sees blood.
a. She covers her face with something black so she can’t see the blood.
b. She paints whatever she was working on black.
c. She faints
d. She screams.


Answer: c. She faints



3. She should give him a taste of his own medicine.
a. She should go get his medicine for him.
b. She should do to him what he did to her.
c. She should taste his medicine before she gives it to him.
d. She should tell him not to take drugs.


Answer: b. She should do to him what he did to her.




4. Edgar was "tickled pink" when he heard from his friend.
a. A bunch of people got him down, tickled him and made him laugh.
b. Tickling nearly made him have a heart attack.
c. His friend likes to tickle him.
d. He was delighted to hear from his friend.


Answer: d. He was delighted to hear from his friend.



5. He comes across as a military commander.
a. He acts like a military commander.
b. He is a military commander.
c. He wants to join the military.
d. He is coming to a military base


Answer: a. He acts like a military commander.




6. Just cheer up and stick with a positive attitude.
a. Feel better and get a positivity stick.
b. Smile upwards and maintain a positivity attitude.
c. Think “up” and get a sticky attitude.
d. Feel better and maintain positive thoughts.


Answer: d. Feel better and maintain positive thoughts.



7. Grandma told my mom she was feeling “in the pink”. How was she feeling?
a. She was sick to her stomach
b. She was feeling well.
c. She was feeling dizzy.
d. She was feeling like a lady.


Answer: b. She was feeling well



8. I’ve been feeling under the weather lately.
a. All those clouds overhead make me feel weird.
b. I like to watch the weather channel.
c. I love the feel of rain on my face.
d. I’ve been sick lately.


Answer: d. I’ve been sick lately.




9. Mrs. O’Leary says her neighbor, Jim, has “a heart of gold”.
a. He has a very valuable pacemaker.
b. He has tattoos on his chest.
c. He is a very kind, honest person.
d. He is a selfish, evil person.


Answer: c. He is a very kind, honest person.



10. Mike applied for a building permit and was shocked to find all the “red tape” involved.
a. Tape used to outline where buildings are built.
b. Everything had to be bound with a certain colored tape.
c. There was lots of paperworks to be filled out.
d. A red tape recorder, recorded everything.


Answer: c. There was lots of paperwork to be filled out.



11. Mr. Jones said his business was “in the black” now.
a. He bought some oil fields.
b. It only runs at night.
c. It is losing money.
d. It is making a profit.


Answer: d. It is making a profit.



12. My bank account is in the red.
a. That hockey game was really violent.
b. When I go to the bank, I get really angry.
c. My account is overdrawn, so I owe money to the bank.
d. The bank was really clear about it.


Answer: c. My account is overdrawn, so I owe money to the bank.



13. The old farmer was the salt of the earth.
a. The farmer was a good, honest, dependable person.
b. The farmer was really irritational.
c. The farmer didn’t like salt very much.
d. The farmer was enthusiastic.


Answer: a. The farmer was a good, honest, dependable person.



14. He makes me feel like everything is over my head.
a. He makes me feel like things are on my head.
b. He makes me feel like I cannot understand anything.
c. He makes me feel the sky, the trees and other large things.
d. He makes me feel my head, which is embarrassing.


Answer: b. He makes me feel like I cannot understand anything.



15. It has been one thing after another lately.
a. Things have been happening lately.
b. If one more thing happens, it will happen too late.
c. Many great things have been happening.
d. Things have happened close together in time.


Answer: d. Things have happened close together in time.



16. Jesse quit smoking cold turkey.
a. Jesse doesn’t smoke turkeys anymore.
b. Jesse quit smoking suddenly, without cutting down first.
c. Jesse quit smoking because the turkey was cold.
d. Jesse was cold, so he ate some smoked turkey.


Answer: b. Jesse quit smoking suddenly, without cutting down first.



17. Carole has been told that her problem is that she looks at life through “rose-colored glasses.”
a. She needs glasses that are not tinted.
b. She sees things with a generally optimistic and cheerful attitude.
c. She keeps peeking through goblets raised over her corneas.
d. She sees things with pessimism.


Answer: b. She sees things with a generally optimistic and cheerful attitude.



18. They’re charging an arm and a leg for those dance tickets.
a. You have to pay one arm and one leg to get into that dance.
b. The charging bull headed straight for his arms and legs.
c. There were arms and legs flying everywhere at that dance.
d. The dance tickets were really expensive.


Answer: d. The dance tickets were really expensive.



19. Maybe it will even change my luck, knock on wood.
a. Maybe it will change my luck and someone’s knocking.
b. Maybe it will change my luck if I knock on the door.
c. Maybe it will change my luck. I knock on the wood to give myself luck.
d. Maybe it will even change my luck if I knock on wood as much as I can.


Answer: c. Maybe it will change my luck. I knock on the wood to give myself luck.



20. Please give it a rest.
a. Please stop talking about that topic.
b. Please lay down.
c. Please stop talking and lay down.
d. Please pull out the futon.

Answer: a. Please stop talking about that topic.


21. I think I stand a chance of getting that job.
a. I think I’ll wait in line for that job.
b. I think may people are waiting in line for that job, and I’ll wait too.
c. I think I might get that job.
d. I think I’ll stand and think about the job.


Answer: c. I think I might get that job.



22. Melinda turned “red as a beet” when someone mentioned Bobs name.
a. She was embarrassed.
b. She got very angry.
c. She was holding her breath.
d. She stood too close to the heater.

Answer: a. She was embarrassed.



23. I’m sticking to the new diet.
a. I’m on a new diet of sticky rice.
b. I’m on a new diet of only sticky foods.
c. I’m sticking to the kitchen counter.
d. I’m obeying the new diet.


Answer: d. I’m obeying the new diet.



24. Caleb made his suggestion right out of the blue.
a. Nobody expected his suggestion.
b. Caleb took his suggestion out of a blue box.
c. Caleb suggested painting the set like the sky.
d. Caleb was really blue when he made that suggestion.


Answer: a. Nobody expected his suggestion.



25. Ellie was “feeling blue.”
a. She touched only blue things.
b. She was freezing cold.
c. She was feeling very sad.
d. She was touching her favorite dog.


Answer: c. She was feeling very sad.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like this set of practice questions? Download all other LET Reviewers in PDF form here.

Post a Comment

0 Comments

Search This Blog